Œnothèque: Our library of previous Champagnes of the Month

April 2013

Our cuvée of the month for April comes from Champagne Diebolt-Vallois, a Récoltant-Manipulant from the Grand Cru village of Cramant on the Côte des Blancs.

 

The house controls a little over 11 hectares of vineyards, mainly in the Grand Cru village of Cramant and the Premier Cru village of Cuis. The East – South East facing Cramant vineyards have a thin layer of earth covering chalky subsoil which coupled with the chalky slopes of Cramant give the Diebolt-Vallois cuvées a mineral quality whilst also providing a richness that lingers long in the mouth.

 

The Millésime 2005 is of course a Blanc de Blancs, 100% Chardonnay with 60% of the assemblage coming from Cuis with the remaining 40% made up from Chouilly, Épernay and young vines from Cramant.

 

Vinification is carried out in thermostatically controlled stainless steel vats.

 

The colour is a deep gold and the nose is full and rich. In the mouth there are hints of brioche and green fruit with a hit of chalky minerality. The finish is long and persistent. This is a gorgeously rich and vibrant Chardonnay that reflects the chalky terroir of Cuis and Cramant.  We suspect this will keep well for many years to come.

 

Bought at source in October 2011 at €25.00, it represents great value for money for what is a top-class Blanc de Blancs.

 

On our visit we were lucky enough to be hosted by the wonderful Jacques Diebolt and his daughter Isabelle. Well worth a visit as these are great Champagnes made by truly lovely people.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please click on the images to enlarge